Thanks to Emma Wong-Ming who gave us a Tofu recipe, Mad Millie has now trialled making Tofu using Mad Millie Calcium Chloride. It was a great success. Give it a go.
- 1 Litre Fresh Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 3ml of Calcium Chloride
- Heat up soy milk to 70 C, keep stirring from 50 C to prevent scolding the milk on the bottom of the pot.
- Once the milk reaches 70 C, remove from the element and add calcium chloride.
- Cover the pot and leave to sit for at least an hour.
- There should be alot of curds when you stir the milk mixture. It will not have a ‘clean break’ that those involved in cheese-making will be familar with.
- Line a cheese mould with a couple of layers of cheese cloth and pour in the mixture. A lot of liquid will drain out- it will be a creamy/yellow whey colour.
- Leave to drain overnight for a soft tofu, or transfer to the cheese press for a firm tofu.
- NOTE: Fresh soy milk from the asian supermarket was used (milk in the cooled section from the supermarket does not work).