Winter is fast approaching the Southern Hemisphere and with the cooler weather comes the need for warming filling foods. This Bacon and Spinach Slice is a cafe favourite and something that can be easily made at home. A great project for the upcoming months would be to start making some Farmhouse Cheddar with your Mad Millie Hard Cheese kit now – and make the slice when your cheese is mature, right in the middle of winter! Add some homemade chutney and a piece of crusty fresh bread and you have a delicious warming lunch. Or for our Northern Hemisphere foodies, serve chilled with a crisp salad for a light summer meal. Great for guests and a meal the whole family will enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups grated spinach
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 bacon rashers, rind removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Mad Millie Cheddar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Combine spinach, onion, bacon, cheese, herbs and flour in a basin and mix well. Combine eggs and milk and stir through mixture.
- Spread in a baking tin, top with parmesan cheese. Bake at 180°C (356F) for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.