As the festive season approaches our diaries fill up with various end of year functions and barbeques. Every year we try so hard to catch up with everyone pre-Christmas that it all feels a tad hectic, add into that the after-effects of a beverage or two each time and the morning after becomes a struggle. We have a solution for you – the mocktail!
The popularity of the mocktail is on the rise as a growing number of consumers choose to avoid excess alcohol consumption. There have been some interesting trends with younger generations typically drinking less than baby-boomers. A combination of better education, a greater awareness of what we’re putting into our bodies and a general desire to feel good, means we have concluded that they are onto a good thing.
Sometimes you don’t feel like a wine, beer or gin and tonic; but you also want something delicious and refreshing. The jokes about a hangover or a health kick tend to be the first response before you are offered a …. sparkling water? The joke’s on them when you wake up the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to hit the day.
With the festive season around the corner, we thought we would give you a couple of ideas for your next barbeque or dinner party. A little bit of preparation required with your Mad Millie Kefir or Ginger Beer kit, but it’s worth it!
Strawberry Coconut Water Kefir Mocktail
Combining the tang of fresh coconut kefir with the pink sweetness of strawberries, this cocktail is the perfect accompaniment to your Saturday afternoon barbeque. Fresh mint and a squeeze of lemon give it a distinctly adult flavour while enjoying the perks of being alcohol-free.
- 2 cups Kefir Coconut Water – made at least 24 hours before with your Mad Millie Kefir Kit. With this choice, you’re getting the goodness of the probiotics in the kefir; however, if you don’t have time, normal coconut water will taste slightly sweeter but just as good.
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 squeezed lemon
- Ice Cubes
- Fresh Mint for garnishing
- Clean and chop the strawberries before adding them to a blender with the Coconut Kefir Water. Squeeze the lemon directly into the blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour over ice into glasses and garnish with mint.
Ginger & Pear Mocktail
Juicy, green pears, sweet natural honey, the tang of fresh ginger and your own homemade brew at that. This mocktail is sure to impress your friends and family as something a little different. The distinct ginger notes from the fresh and brewed ginger, with just the right amount of pear to soften the flavour, makes this the perfect evening drink.
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cm chopped fresh ginger
- 1 squeezed lemon
- 200 ml pear juice
- Mad Millie Ginger Beer to top up
- Ice Cubes
- Fresh, sliced pear to garnish
- Put the honey, chopped ginger, lemon juice and pear juice into a jar. Shake hard until the honey has dissolved.
- Pour over ice cubes into glasses.
- Top up with your homemade ginger beer, if you don’t have any ready this can be substituted for your favourite store-bought variety.
- Garnish with fresh pear and enjoy!
For a variation on the Ginger Pear Mocktail, add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary at the start, it adds a little more complexity to the flavour.