Ricotta Gnocchi with Grilled Capsicum Sauce
This dish is absolutely bursting with fresh flavours! Perfect served on its own or as a side dish for festive meals. We made a big batch of this gnocchi because it freezes well and is great to have on hand!
- 4 Large potatoes
- 2 Medium kumara or sweet potato
- 6 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbs Olive oil
- 2 Cups Plain flour + extra for dusting
- 3 Red capsicum
- 2 tsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup Milk of your choice (we used coconut)
- 1 tbs Lemon juice
- 5 Fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbs Red wine
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 6 Kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Ricotta (vegan suitable)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- To make the gnocchi, preheat oven to 180°C. Pierce the potatoes and kumara with a fork on all sides and place on a baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes then flip and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Add 4 garlic cloves to the tray and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and the garlic is roasted.
- Once cooked, remove the potatoes, kumara and garlic from the oven and cool until you can handle them easily.
- Peel the potatoes, kumara and garlic then add to a large bowl. Mash well with a masher, ricer, or food processor until smooth.
- Add 2 tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the flour to the bowl in increments of ¼ cup, mixing with your hands until a smooth dough is formed. The dough should be firm enough that a piece pinched off will roll easily into a ball without sticking or crumbling. You may wish to add more flour if the dough is too sticky and more olive oil if it is too dry.
- Flour the surface you’ll be working on. Separate the dough into large balls, then roll each ball out into a long tube. Using a knife, cut the dough into pieces, approximately 2cm in length.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer or cook immediately.
- To make the sauce, set the oven to grill. Cut capsicum into lengths approximately 3cm wide, being careful to discard the seeds. Place in oven and grill until tender and lightly charred (approx 20 minutes). Set the oven back to 180°C.
- Add capsicum, garlic, nutritional yeast, 1 tbs olive oil, milk, lemon juice, basil and red wine to a blender and pulse until a smooth texture is achieved. If you want a thinner sauce, you can add more milk. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add the gnocchi and cook until they rise to the surface of the water. Remove from the heat and drain.
- Place cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet and cook until tender (approx. 10 minutes).
- While the tomatoes are cooking, heat a frying pan with 1 tbs olive oil and gently cook the kale until tender.
- Add the gnocchi to the pan with the kale and fry until lightly golden. Stir through the ricotta and remove from heat.
- Serve with a hefty drizzle of the capsicum sauce and enjoy!